Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Joy of Friendship

When I was a teenager, I was introduced to this beautiful quote from George Eliot (who is actually a woman named Mary Anne Evans). It is one of my favorite quotes. It describes in every way what I feel a true friend should be like. I've experienced only a few who I have had the blessing to become acquainted with that embodies this quote. To them, I want to say thank you for that "breath of kindness." You are amazing and I love you dearly.


“Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.”

-George Eliot

2 comments:

the Petterson Family said...

That is a beautiful quote! Wow. I totally understand what you mean about feeling comfortable enough around someone that you can share the "chaff and grain" knowing that person will still love you! You are the type of friend explained in this quote!

Kimi said...

I agree with Laura; you are that kind of friend to a "T". I miss having you around to just talk to and laugh with.

I love, love, love your new header picture; you look beautiful! Jackson and Braden are so darling :) I MISS YOU!