Friday, July 1, 2011

Midnight Impromtu Search

Every night before bed, Trapper and I will check on the boys to make sure they're warm and snug in their covers. Usually, one of them has a leg or two hanging out or off the bed. Surprisingly, neither one of them have fallen off the bed yet. They always look so peaceful and sweet, and I can't help stealing a kiss from their cheek or lips. I also love how little kids can be so out of it when they're asleep. One night, awhile ago, when Braden was still in the crib, we went in and started fixing his blanket around him. He rolled around to his stomach and pushed himself up like he was stretching. Then he looked at me with his sleepy eyes and said, "Hi, Mommy!" And then he laid back down and went to sleep. It was the cutest thing ever.

Well, last night, around midnight, I got out of bed to use the bathroom. I always think as I get up that I should check on the kids, but sometimes I'm so tired that I make excuses saying they'll be fine. Sometimes when I'm up and I'm thinking about the kids, my mind starts to wonder. I assume other mothers probably do this same thing once in awhile. I think things like, "What would happen if someone broke into the house and tried to hurt my kids or me and Trapper?" Stuff like that. In my dreams, I'd be an expert in martial arts and would destroy them in an instant. Or sometimes I think I'd probably just end up like Ashley Judd in the movie "Where the Heart is" when she was beaten to a bloody pulp. Crazy thoughts. I know. Anyway, so after the bathroom, I went to the boys' room. It was pretty dark and I was still sleepy, so I was walking around with my eyes half closed. I got to Braden's bed first and felt the pillow. His head wasn't on the pillow and his blanket felt bunched, so I thought he had wiggled himself down into the covers like he was hiding. I felt around more and discovered that he was not in bed at all! His beloved "dee-dee" (binky) was there, but not him! I looked on the floor, but he wasn't there. My eyes were wide open then! All of my worst fears came to my mind and my heart started to pound in my chest. I checked Jackson's bed hoping that maybe Braden just jumped in with him, but he wasn't there either. I ran back to my room thinking that maybe he came in and just fell asleep on the body pillow that was laying on the floor next to the bed. Or maybe he'd gotten in the bed with Trapper while I was in the bathroom. Trapper must have thought I was sleep walking, 'cause I ran in saying, "Braden?? Where's Braden? I can't find Braden!" Well, Trapper and I ran downstairs and turned on the light to see if we could find him, but honestly, there couldn't have been many places for Braden to go, if, indeed, he'd gotten out of bed on his own accord. Hopefully, he wasn't playing hide and seek! Anyway, my mind was racing with ridiculous thoughts of kidnappers in the night or pedophiles hiding in the closet waiting for the right moment to snatch my baby. I should probably stop watching Law and Order: SVU. Thankfully, those thoughts didn't last long. As soon as we ran into the living room, we found Braden. He was fast asleep on the couch. All by himself with no blanket. Trapper and I let out a huge sigh. He was okay. I picked him up and hugged him to death and then we took him back to his bed. What a silly boy. Trapper says he probably just got up and wanted to watch T.V. Maybe he was sleepwalking. I don't know. I just hope he doesn't do it again. haha No more scares like that please! Now I know how my mother felt when she lost me in Walmart. I didn't think I was lost. I was just playing Hungry Hippos in the toy section. Funny how kids are.

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

So scary, glad everything is fine!

Katie said...

I hear you! I let my mind wander...that's why mac is still in a crib. And will be until he is 18! Hehe, but seriously, SOOO scary! Glad you were able to find him!

Carlin said...

How ironic that on the one night you decide to check on him, he's not in bed! Glad he was ok. I have those same thoughts!