Saturday, September 12, 2009

Braden's 3 month appointment and eating out German style

While we were in Denver, we missed Braden's 2 month check-up, so as soon as we got here, I made an appointment with a pediatrician that our friend Katie recommended us. We were lucky the day of his appointment, because Trapper was able to come with us! The doctor's office is not Jackson's favorite place to be. He clings to my pants everytime we go, and whimpers and cries if the nurses or doctor give him any funny looks. Plus, Braden had to get his immunizations and when he cries, Jackson cries. Thankfully, as a team, Trapper and I can keep the situation under control. : )

ON A SIDE NOTE: That's what I love about my marriage. We're a team. I know this is SUPER totally random, but my friend ("Let's Go Away for Awhile") just posted a message about her marriage and what their secrets are to making it a happy one. It got me thinking about what works for me and Trap. And I'd have to say that he and I make a good team. His strengths compensate for my weaknesses, and vice versa. Somehow we work together in sync, and we don't even have to say anything to make it do that.

Okay, excuse me. Let's get back to the real purpose of this post. The doctor was GREAT. He was very friendly and even got Braden to laugh. He also didn't just want to talk about Braden. He was open to questions about Jackson, since we seem to have more trouble with him anyway right now. He talked to us about the changes Jackson's going through and why he's acting out and screaming like a little girl and why he hurts Braden. It was really nice to hear a professional's opinion. I think what sold me on him was when he recommended a book for me to read. I love reading books about how to deal with kids. I get them all the time. In fact, I'm in the middle of one right now called "Children: The Challenge." My mother-in-law gave it to me and it's GREAT. Anyway, the one he recommended to me is called "Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child." That'll be the next one to tackle. Anyway, he really took his time with us and made us feel important.

Unfortuntaely, for Braden, he had to have 5 shots and one oral vaccination. I felt so bad for him. Trapper took the duty of holding him down while I held Jackson in my lap. When he started to cry from all the shots, I wanted to cry too!! I never felt that bad over Jackson. Maybe it was just because Trapper was there and I didn't feel the need to be strong, but I started to tear up for my little sugar booger! He was a tough boy though. He calmed down soon and went to sleep in the car. But later, in the early evening, just before Trapper and I went out for our date, he cried hysterically for about 30 minutes. I didn't know what to do! We thought he might calm down if we gave him a lukewarm bath, and he did for about 2 minutes, but then he started to cry again. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do but breathe through it all and pray that it ends soon. He eventually went to sleep and then slept the whole time we were out on our date!! OOH, another side note: On our date we went to a nice German place to eat. It was pretty authentic! Trapper got the Wurst Platte with kraut and German potato salad, and I got the Schwein Schnitzel with spetzel and American potato salad. WAY GOOD. I was very impressed with it. If you're wondering what that is, the Wurst Platte comes with bratwurst and knockwurst which are two different kinds of sausages. I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't know what kraut was before last night. In Trapper's words, it's like a sour pickled cabbage, which I think described it perfectly. Ick. The difference between German and American potato salad is German is hot and American is cold. Okay, on to my plate. Schnitzel is a breaded pork or any other kind of meat. It looked and tasted much like chicken fried steak, except it was really thin and really big. Spetzel is a dumpling, and you can pour gravy over it. Yum Yum.

I didn't mean to write a novel. So sorry. Here's Braden's stats:

Weight: 12 lbs. 1 oz.
Height: 23 inches
Head circumference: 39 1/2 cm.
25% percentile.

4 comments:

Cecily said...

That's so sad about the shots and all the crying later on. I'm glad Braden was able to fall asleep for you!

All that German food sounds delicious. I lived over there when I was a kid for 5 years so I just LOVE German food. It sounds like a great place.

Britney said...

My mom loves kraut. We used to get so mad at her when she ate it because it stunk up the whole house!

Carlin said...

Wow he's already bigger than Hunter!

Katie said...

yay! I am so glad that you liked the dr. it really makes a difference. And when you guys move up here into our ward, you can use our other drs too! (hint, hint! j/k!) But seriously, how is the house hunting thing going? Let us know if you need anything!