Thursday, April 9, 2009

Farewell My Young Women!

My calling for the past 9 or 10 months has been 2nd counselor in the Young Women's. I LOVE the young women. We have about 15 active young women and getting to know them has been such a blast. I'm only 24 years old, so sometimes I'm acting just as crazy as them, especially at the dances. These girls just don't understand right now how much fun their missing out on when they choose to sit on the sidelines or only dance the slow dances. Even though I've been pregnant for both dances they've had (And I'm appalled that they don't have them more often), I think I probably danced more dances and way more crazy than them. I guess I just really miss that time in my life. I realize that for most teenage girls, it's natural to be boy crazy and to do nothing but think about boys, even in their sleep. I was the same way. It was almost at times a little too much. Anyway, I just wish I had danced the night away being carefree like I am now, instead of worrying about the boys. They weren't that great anyway. : ) But such is life and the past is past, and I can at least take that lesson to heart and share it with younger girls in the hopes that they'll learn from my experiences.
At the last dance I attended, I was a bit worried about getting out on the floor, because I know I look very young, and being pregnant, people were probably wondering if I was a pregnant teenager. But maybe they didn't know! 'Cause one young man asked me to dance, and then another asked me how old I was and when I said 24, he looked really confused and was like, "Are you serious?" I told him I was and that I was one of the leaders and married and expecting a baby as well. He then looked at my belly and his mouth did the jawdrop thing. He kept saying "Are you serious?" over and over. haha Someone finally dragged him away. At the end of the dance, however, I saw him again and he asked me one more time if I was serious about being 24. I said I sure was and that I already had a one year old son at home. He was like, "You look really young!" I said, "Yeah, it's kind of a curse....I guess." And he said, "A good curse!" I told him that I supposed he was right and that it was very flattering of him to say that.

Ahh, the memories of being in the Young Women's program. haha Unfortunately, my time is over. Our president is moving and so the presidency has dissolved, and since I'm having a baby soon and moving in August most likely, they decided to release me. : *( Last night was my last mutual with the girls, and I was in charge of it! It was Personal Progress night about Individual Worth. So I put together an activity that I stole off the internet and from my mother-in-law. I have no creativity in my brain. Anyway, we played some games and had a musical number and a lesson and the girls wrote positive qualities about each other and then for refreshments we had cupcakes, in which they decorated themselves to express their individuality (Thanks Bev!) They had such a good time. Several girls told me thankyou and hugged me, knowing I had been released. I hope that where ever we go, I'll one day get put back into the Young Women's. It's so much fun. Not being able to see Trapper on Wednesday nights until 8:30pm isn't so fun, and I'm looking forward to having that night with him again, but my heart will miss the girls. So many of them remind me of myself at their age, and even though I know they're going to do some stupid things like I did, I have complete faith in them.

1 comment:

Josh and Shyann Croke Family said...

I have the same looking young problem. When I went to chaperone youth conference when I was pregnant with Sidney they thought I was there to register as a youth. Can't you see my belly? And then one of the girls' dads stuck his head in one Sunday and asked where the leader was. I was with the Beehives. Do I really look 12? Oh well, we'll be the youthful 40 year olds and people will be jealous. Good luck with the next 10 weeks. Hang in there. Having 2 is fun. Challenging, but it's fun watching the two kids interact.